Oklahoma: Of Water, Fireworks, and Magician's Hats
As I mentioned before, we visited Oklahoma this summer for July 4th. The stampede was big enough that it deserved its own post, so this one is to cover the rest.
We spent a lot of our time outdoors talking or eating while the kids played.

(SPLAT! hahaha)
We swam a lot - either in the pool or at the Lake.



The boys made a habit of grabbing a popsicle out of the freezer when they were done swimming and eat it while sunbathing on the cement.

I got to hold and get to know Monica's little Baby Emy. She was so tiny compared to Cade!

And I got to go grocery shopping with my mom. Sounds silly, but that is and was my most favorite thing to do with my mom when I go home.


On July 4th, the men of my family had a BLAST buying and setting off all sorts of fireworks that would be illegal in most states. Gotta love Oklahoma for that! We all sat in the backyard and watched the too-good-to-be-a-home show. Simply said, it was awesome. Each firework blast rumbled in your chest. There were some sparklers, fountains, and other small goodies for the kids as well.
We spent a lot of our time outdoors talking or eating while the kids played.
(SPLAT! hahaha)
We swam a lot - either in the pool or at the Lake.
The boys made a habit of grabbing a popsicle out of the freezer when they were done swimming and eat it while sunbathing on the cement.
I got to hold and get to know Monica's little Baby Emy. She was so tiny compared to Cade!
And I got to go grocery shopping with my mom. Sounds silly, but that is and was my most favorite thing to do with my mom when I go home.
On July 4th, the men of my family had a BLAST buying and setting off all sorts of fireworks that would be illegal in most states. Gotta love Oklahoma for that! We all sat in the backyard and watched the too-good-to-be-a-home show. Simply said, it was awesome. Each firework blast rumbled in your chest. There were some sparklers, fountains, and other small goodies for the kids as well.
And last but not least: The Magician's Hat. I know this isn't something that was planned or, by any means, the reason we came to Oklahoma, but it was just too gosh darn hilarious not to mention. While playing in 'Gwamma's' chest of costumes and dress-ups, Sam got a magician's hat stuck on his head.

He came to me first with his dilemma. After tugging on it for a while, I decided to bring in the big guns and ask Rex for help. We both pulled and tugged on it together for quite a while before I recognized how stinkin' funny it was and grabbed the camera. After that, I was of no use at all. Every time we'd pull the back up to free his ears, it would get stuck over Sam's eyes and pinch them. But when we tried releasing the front first, it'd about pull his ears off his head. When we tried just pulling straight up, we could have lifted his entire body off the ground just from the hat.

We got Vaseline and coated the inside rim with it to see if that would help slide it off. Nothing. We decided that we may have to cut a slit in the inside rim with a pair of scissors to loosen it just enough. Nothing again. It was stuck GOOD.

While I'm dying of laughter (such a good mother) I decided to get my mom in on the action, seeming as she's the owner of the hat and would need her permission before we had to completely demolish the hat to get poor Sam's head out of it.

Finally after an hour, Gwamma's help, and her sewing shears, the hat came off. It no longer looked like a hat as it was completely shredded by this point, but at least Sam's head was in tact.
He came to me first with his dilemma. After tugging on it for a while, I decided to bring in the big guns and ask Rex for help. We both pulled and tugged on it together for quite a while before I recognized how stinkin' funny it was and grabbed the camera. After that, I was of no use at all. Every time we'd pull the back up to free his ears, it would get stuck over Sam's eyes and pinch them. But when we tried releasing the front first, it'd about pull his ears off his head. When we tried just pulling straight up, we could have lifted his entire body off the ground just from the hat.
We got Vaseline and coated the inside rim with it to see if that would help slide it off. Nothing. We decided that we may have to cut a slit in the inside rim with a pair of scissors to loosen it just enough. Nothing again. It was stuck GOOD.
While I'm dying of laughter (such a good mother) I decided to get my mom in on the action, seeming as she's the owner of the hat and would need her permission before we had to completely demolish the hat to get poor Sam's head out of it.
Finally after an hour, Gwamma's help, and her sewing shears, the hat came off. It no longer looked like a hat as it was completely shredded by this point, but at least Sam's head was in tact.
Comments