Grandma Brandley's Funeral
In January my mom, Monica, and I went to Canada for my Grandma Brandley's funeral. We flew in to Great Falls and then drove together across the border into Canada. I've missed seeing the beautiful fields and amazing skies of Alberta. We helped dress my sweet grandma for the service - I was nervous at first but it turned out to be such an intimate, sweet moment - not at all scary like I had thought it would be. It was nice to squeeze her hand and kiss her cheek one last time to personally say goodbye.
I love my Grandma Brandley so much. The next day was the most beautiful and touching funerals I've ever been to - one that you want yours to be like some day. She left a mark on everyone and made them feel like they were the most important person in the world to her. Everyone was amazing to her - she always saw the good. The chapel and cultural hall were packed with tons of people whose lives she had touched. I want to be as nice and loving a person as she was. I've never really thought of funerals being inspirational, but this one certainly was.
My cousin Michael ("The BFG" - big and friendly ginger :-) ) and I played a piano/violin duet for the service. Through inspired accident, we ended up meshing "O My Father" with "Nearer My God To Thee" that we polished the day before. Turns out those were two of my grandma's favorite hymns.
After the funeral, all the girl relatives got to pick out their favorite muumuu of Grandma's. She always wore fun, holiday appropriate muumuus that she sewed herself. We also all got to pick out a potholder from the dozens she still had waiting in her sewing room to give out to people. That was kind of a joke the whole time - anyone who ever went to her house or came in contact with her always left with a homemade potholder. There were even potholder flowers hidden in some of the bouquets.
This is my Grandma and Grandpa's home that we always loved to visit. For safety reasons, they bulldozed it over so this is the last time I got to see it. Lots of love and memories in that home.





Comments