Toddlers on Sundays

I am the ward organist at our church. Because of this, I am up on the stand for half of the meeting. It's a great view of the congregation... especially the pew where Rex, Aiden, and Sam "sit." This is a typical Sunday for us:

While I play prelude music, Sam sits quietly - even happily - in his car seat on the front row. Meanwhile Aiden is running in and out of the pews as people file in. Rex follows close behind.

As the meeting begins, Rex firmly sits Aiden in his lap while Aiden squirms and screams his disapproval. Rex pulls out a quiet activity, such as coloring, books, or small toys. This works until the opening hymn begins.

As I'm playing, I see a coloring book go flying across the chapel. Aiden screams. Sam starts to fuss as it is time for his bottle. Rex gives Aiden some fruit snacks and a sippy cup while he gets Sam's bottle ready.

Third verse begins. Now I see a sippy cup go flying across my peripheral vision and I hear Aiden much closer to me than he should be. Rex runs onto the stage to prevent Aiden from helping me play the organ.

The hymn ends and it's time for the opening prayer. Sudden silence. Except for Aiden. More gabbing and moaning and whining until everyone says "amen." Aiden's "amen" is the loudest.

Durinng announcements and whatnot, I get to watch Aiden more fully now. Somehow, he's persuaded Rex that he can behave on the floor. Aiden slowly inches away until he is out of Rex's reach. Then he bolts up the aisle, laughing wildy. Rex runs and tackles him back to the bench.

The Bishopric laughs. They even congratulated Rex after the meeting on what a great tackle it was.

We sing the Sacrament hymn and then I get to sit back down with my poor, harassed husband. I finish feeding Sam and Aiden calms down.

After Sacrament meeting, I go back onto the stand to play the closing hymn. By the time the closing prayer is said, Aiden has bolted out the door and in to Nursery. Peace. At last.

After church we all meet to go out to the car together. I carry Sam's carseat and fifty million papers and bags while Rex carries Aiden on his shoulders. Once at the car, I click Sam's carseat into the base while Rex wrestles Aiden down into his seatbelt. Aiden wiggles free, runs across the parking lot into the church, and into the cultural hall. Rex runs after. When Aiden sees Rex, he DIVES into the chapel and under a pew to hide. Rex carries Aiden back on his shoulder and is more successful this time at getting Aiden strapped in.

We drive home more tired and distraught than when we left that morning. So much for a day of rest.

Comments

Tara said…
I think Aiden may be my Lily's soul mate. Two year olds are fun in church, aren' they?
Becky said…
That is awesome. I love it!
Unknown said…
Sunday at church counts as a workout right?
PerryParty3 said…
AMEN. I hear your pain.
Staigerfamily said…
This makes me laugh so hard . . . because I too hear your pain.
Lets see . . . last Sunday Carson removed both pants and diaper and bolted up the aisle (to everyone--especially the Deacon's) delight . . . not once . . . not twice BUT THREE TIMES--mostly nude. AHHH. . .the reverence . . .

Popular posts from this blog

The Phillips Phamily Just Got Phatter

Sam Richard Phillips

Brown